Monday, November 2, 2009

CHAINS

One of the challenges of RP is that it is easy for a person to get hung up on the things they use to do but are unable to do anymore. It's a dual-edged sword because along with affecting your self image it also can send you into depression.

These attitudes changes are not exclusive to RP but are common in a lot of physical ailments that can come up as a person grows older. In a way, the realization of limitation can hit a person like they have been locked in chains with no means of escape.

I have found from personal experience that dwelling on the way I used to do things can prevent me from accomplishing the same task but I have found the solution is simply to learn how to do it a different way.

Along with physical limitations it seems to be natural to have your mind bound up in a similar fashion so that alternate ways of doing things just don't come to you. These are the times that I find that having a mentor is a benefit. A true mentor cares more about what you can accompl9h in your life than where you are now.

The important thing is to realize that there is always another way to do something and concentrate on finding it.

There is an old old saying that goes, when the student is ready, the teacher will appear. While the process of gaining a mentor can be simple, sometimes it gets a bit convoluted, but like the example of a chain being used to bind a person, the term chain can be used in a different way as in a chain of events that lead you to the thing you need the most to help you grow past any difficulty.

For example, take a look at mny "chain" if you will.

My parents started a online business over 30 years ago. At that time I attempted working with them but didn't stick it out. Through reading the book "Rich Dad, Poor Dad", I picked the business back up in 2005. Although I worked hared to get it established, three years later I was struggling.

In the Fall, of 2008 an unusual set of circumstances helped me meet the man who would become my mentor.

I was attending one of our business conferences and the situation came up where I got to ride home with him. That was when we really started talking to each other and a short time later I was meeting with him once a week and have been doing so ever since. It has been the lessons I have learned from him that has truly taught me, not just how to do business, but ways to change who I was to who I am that has really led to my business and my life thriving in spit of RP.

Looking back over the last year I realize that it was that "chain" of events that made all the difference, and now the chain has come full circle as I learn how to set goals of sharing the vital lessons he taught me with others in need. And as new people learn those lessons they can pass the "chain" on to others.

Yes, chains can bind a person up or set a person free. It just depends on who has the key. A good mentor will show anyone that they have always had the key all the time.

TnjS

No comments:

Post a Comment