Tuesday, October 27, 2009

RP

RP is a common abbreviation for Retinitis Pigmentosa

While the medical definition of RP is varied, in general, in many cases (mine included) it is a progressive, inherited, eye disorder which first shows up at a very early age as night blindness. Over the years it has progressed to slowly diminish my peripheral vision and depth perception.

I have been very fortunate even at the age of 50 I still can get around with the aid of my cane and public transportation and minimal aid from friends and family.

RP's symptoms usually progress differently depending on the person. For example, I've know some teenagers, I'm sorry to say, who have RP who have gone completely blind. While others maintained some vision past their 60s.

Over the years, I have found that one of the best way I have "survive and thrive" with RP is to be grateful for every day I have sight, and to never take what vision I have for granted.

In the future I plan on sharing other things I have learned throughout the life of this blog.

If you would be interested in a more clinical and detailed definition of Retinitis Pigmentosa, I suggest you go to www.google.com. I especially like the way Wikipedia explains things although their are plenty of areas there to explore.

In the meantime, if you have any questions that I can answer or comments to share I would appreciate it.

As always, I Hope this Helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment