Saturday, December 5, 2009

Why I'm Not Going To Be Politically Correct ... Anymore.

I use to write short stories as a kid. I favored Young Adult stores with a science fiction twist. Two of my favorite writers were Alan Dean Foster and Orson Scott Card whose style of writing was always of a quality I tried hard to duplicate but never quite made it. Even so, the few people I let read my stories seem to like them. In fact, I remember one time when I gave a person I respected a couple of chapters of a story I had written to get his feedback and he liked it so much he asked for more. When I told him I hadn't written anymore because I was waiting for his thoughts, he got mad because he wanted to know what happened next! I've since mislaid those stories and forgot most of what they were about but I've never forgotten the feeling of someone "needing more" of something I wrote.

Now why did I tell you all that. It was not to boost but to make a point.

When I started writing this blog i realized for the first time that there was a possibility that a lot more people would read what I say here then in all the short stories I wrote in the past combined! it unnerved me.

I soon found myself writing things that expressed my political and spiritual point of view and, in the same post, I found myself apologizing in case I offended someone with different views. In other words, becoming "politically correct". In essence, saying, "this is who I am and I hope it doesn't offend you but if it does forgive me and Please like me anyway".

Yuck! What's that all about?

Look when the term "politically correct" came out, I believed it meant to respect people's beliefs. I'm All For That. But how can a person respect other people's beliefs if they don't stand on some beliefs of their own?

If there is one thing I have always been my entire life is opinionated. (Just ask my family.) Now I didn't say I was always right, just opinionated. However, at least I can say that I truly believe in my opinions although I also keep an open mind to other people's beliefs as well.

For a while there, I believed that "good content" meant to deny who I was in favor of pleasing the masses. You know, beoming the "vanilla" ice cream of the blogging world.

Now while vanilla's nice on occasions, I've always fancied myself a raspberry sherbet kind of guy, both in my preferences for deserts and in my writing style. after all it is the "spice" that makes "variety" all it can be.

So, I'll make you a deal. I will strive to always express what I believe to be the truth, both here (and on all my other blogs), and you use the comment box to tell me when I missed the mark. Deal?

Of course that doesn't mean I'll change it, but if you're convincing enough, I'll consider it. ;) Even with all I've said I'm still keeping my mind open because life tends to move real fast, and a closed mind is like a closed trap, you tend to miss catching the thing you need the most.

Will I step on some toes. I expect so, but hopefully not too hard. It not my goal to do so but it happens. After all, I'm still trying to get me right. And as the old saying goes, "Get the man write and you'll get the world right".

And as we all strive to do this we'll all be closer to Thriving And Not Just Surviving!

No comments:

Post a Comment